1/2 pound lentils
2 cups chopped onion
1-2 leeks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. ground cumin
3-4 stalks celery, diced
2-4 diced carrots
1 ½ quarts low-sodium vegetable stock
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1. In a large bowl, cover lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
2. In large stock pot on medium heat, sauté onions, leeks, and garlic with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 10 minutes.
3. Add celery, carrots, and sauté for 10 more minutes.
4. Add vegetable stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 40 minutes to 1 hour.